At age 34, on May 26, 2011, I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC) in my left breast.
My breast cancer stats:
– Stage IB, T0/T1: IDC left breast non-necrotic tumor, 1.3 cm
– N1mi- .5mm micro metastases in 1 of 3 sentinel lymph nodes
– M0- No distant spread is seen in imaging or physical exam
– Grade 2
– ER (Estrogen Receptor) Positive (100%)
– PR (Progesterone Receptor) Positive (60%)
– HER2 (negative)
– BRCA1, BRCA2 (negative)
– BART test (negative)
– Oncotype 19
My medical odyssey:
- SURGERY- On June 15th, 2011, Dr. Colette Magnant performed my bilateral mastectomy and Dr. Kathy Huang completed my partial reconstruction (tissue expanders) at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
- FERTILITY- On Sunday, August 14, 2011 (after great care from Dr. Widra), Dr. O’Brien at Shady Grove fertility retrieved 30 eggs from my ovaries (yes in one cycle!) Of those 30, 21 were mature. Of those 21, 16 were successfully fertilized and cryo-preserved on Monday, August 15, 2011.
- CHEMO- I had 4 rounds of chemo “TC” spaced 3 weeks apart under the care of Dr. Claudine Isaacs (and Lilly and Karra) at Georgetown (completed Nov. 2011).
- RADIATION- I had 28 rounds of radiation with Dr. Victoria Croog (and Hope, Michelle and Blair) at Sibley (completed Jan. 2012).
- MEDICATION- I started Tamoxifen on Feb. 11, 2012. I am supposed to continue this therapy for 5 years or more.
- RECONSTRUCTION- I had “exchange surgery” at Sibley under the care of Dr. Kathy Huang on December 11, 2012. My tissue expanders were exchanged with silcone implants. The final piece of reconstruction will be nipple reconstruction and/or nipple tattoos.